Monday, August 16, 2004

Brain Ambrosia



It's always a delight to find an intelligent, sensitive, totally delightful new writer. In the curious incident of the dog in the night-time, Mark Haddon tells the story from the perspective of an autistic teenager.

Through this emotionally impaired, literal-minded child genius, Haddon succeeds not only in telling a riveting story, but also in imparting how difficult, wrenching, exhausting it is for the parents to care for such a near-adult child, and how the rest of the world perceives him.

the curious incident is not only a delight to read, but it leaves you rethinking your attitudes towards hurt kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had several people recommend this book. And I agree, it's wonderful to find a new writer with talent and brains. I discovered Sheri S. Tepper a couple of years ago and love her writing. Even if I don't "love" a particular book, it still makes me think. As a science fiction writer, what do you think of her?
Lea Tassie

M. D. Benoit said...

Ashamed to say I don't know her. I'm definitely going to tap my trusty library for one of her books. Thanks for the recommendation!