Tuesday, August 17, 2004

For the rushed reader

Found this hilarious site, Book-a-minute SF/F. No time to read? Just pick a title. Takes a minute, maybe less. Problem is, the story's so condensed it sounds more like a Haiku than a story-line. Still, it's a way to distill a book to its most basic of basics. I particularly like the condensed version of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever, by Stephen Donaldson, one of the first SF books (series) I read.

This series was a revelation for me, simply because the protagonist is an anti-hero, totally unlikeable, but the story was compelling enough that I wanted to read on. Although I must say that I reread it not long ago, and the story didn't grab me as much as 20 years earlier.

Does it have to do with reader sophistication, or maturity, or the books themselves?

No comments: