Saturday, September 04, 2004

Sticklers unite?

Currently reading Lynn Truss's book about punctuation. I must confess that punctuation is my weakness as a writer (that, and prepositions) probably because my mother tongue is French. Punctuation is done differently in another language, although the marks are the same.

It's eminently readable and makes you realize there's more to punctuation than meets the eye.

The book reminds me of one of the first articles I read about Artificial Intelligence, where it said that the biggest roadblock to AI would be context, or semantics. The article went on to give a very basic example, with the following sentence:

They are cooking apples

Without context, the above sentence could mean two different things: someone is cooking apples; or, these apples are for cooking.

I believe that this stumbling block is slowly being eroded, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

No comments: